Sunday, 6 January 2013

A little album cover game/competition!

Good day hello good evening good morning good afternoon to you all!

How is everyone?

So it's only a few days until I'm back in the land of University. After that it's out into the big wide world I go. What a scary thought!

*Moving on...*

For this post I thought we'd try a little game/competition thing. This may, or may not work. As is the case with most things!

This is one that has been circulating for a while, but it's quite good fun. I've done it once before...now listening carefully. ;)

We are going to...CREATE OUR OWN ALBUM COVERS! Wooo!!! (Really, I can hear your cheers from here.)

The idea is...that you send your randomly generated album cover to me, I'll post it here on the blog, and we vote for the best one in the comments section. Then I will compose a song that I feel fits the style of the album cover! Just a bit of fun really. :) If you wish to partake, please complete the following steps...

1. Go to Wikipedia and select "Random"...or just follow this link to do exactly the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first article that comes up is the name of your band.

2. Now visit this page, http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3 scroll to the bottom, and click "New Random Quotations"
The last four OR five words of the last quote on the page make up your album title.

3. Now visit this page, http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days and no matter what it is...
The third picture along is the one for your album cover.

4. Now put all the different elements together, using something like Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Pages, PowerPoint - anything that allows you to do so.*

5. Send your completed album cover (don't be shy!) to me via Facebook (just click the tab at the top of the blog that says Facebook) or email it to me if you already have my address!

And that's it! Please send me your album cover by January 13th, and if you have any problems, please write them in the comments section below.

As I said...don't be shy! We'll all have a good giggle together in the comments section I imagine! ;)

Good luck and I hope to see some truly awkward, hilarious, cute, sophisticated album covers very soon. ;)

Lots of love xxxxxxxxx

*(If you don't have any of this software, fear not! Just send me the links to your band name, title, and photo, and I'll put them all together for you. - You can reach me by email, of just send me a message via Facebook. :))

19 comments:

Larry said...

Had a little tech problem here and it took 3 tries to get the image sent but, it finally worked. :)

mercury said...

I have little trust in my graphic skills, so I will depict my ideas. The title of the album should be "Unexpected Breakthrough", showing a girl in a pyjama in a dusted nightly scarcely illuminated attic removing roof tiles with a star-wars-like lasersword, so stars and a comet can be seen through the originated hole . Perspective is a imaginary viewer from the staircase. It should be done by a combination of a magenta photograph and coloured graphical elements.

David Ruben said...

Wikipedia:band name: "Bulbophyllum Turpe" (a major species of orchids apparently)
Random quote: title: "Something Is Already So"
Stunner of a 3rd picture, all combined for a couple of goes with different fonts and in cropped square vs letter-box styles. All uploaded to your facebook wall :-)

Larry said...

@mercury If you would like to do the game as per the instructions, you are welcome to send me the links and I will do the rest. Mine were awful and I thought about redoing it but, lol, I did not. You still have my email addy, I suppose If not, let me know here.

Larry said...

Oops! It looks like I missed the point after reading David's post and thinking about it. So we do not just send the links & captions, and photo, but actually make a cover. Oh my.

Strictly Anonymous said...

This will take me a loooong time 'til Wikipedia comes up with "Giant Anteater" and Flickr with an Anteater picture! *cancelsallappointmentsforthisweek*
Not sure if I can make it by Jan 13th, could you extend the deadline by a couple of years? Please?

Larry said...

Hahahaha :) That sounds like something my favorite duck would say. :)

mercury said...

Peinlich!

Larry said...

Awww...

Strictly Anonymous said...

@Larry: Who's your favourite duck? :)

@mercury: I really liked your suggestion very much. If I had the graphics knowledge I'd have a go for it just for fun!

But to clarify the rules as I understood them: We send our random covers to Holly, she turns each into a song and we vote for our favourite song here in the comments section. ;-)
Or was it an album per cover?

Larry said...

My duck might not like to be identified to the world. Maybe we can make an even trade? :)

xenonrush said...

I think Holly is only planning to do a song for the album cover that gets voted the best rather than one for each cover and then a vote for the best song. But if she's got lots of time on her hands she can change the format.
And I think you are just meant to take the first Wiki entry, quote and picture that you see rather than searching for one. At least that's what I did which is probably why my cover is a bit odd.

Larry said...

@Xeno, You think yours is odd... you ought to see mine! :) I bet you will do an awesome job with graphics. I have no idea where to start and am too busy with phys therapy and doctor apts. to spend much time to learn right now. :(

Strictly Anonymous said...

@Larry: Wise duck. I'll ask Holly if she'd be so kind to send you the link to my Facebook profile. In fact, 'Strictly Anonymous' was with a sense of irony as my first post identified me very well to the people in the know ;-).

@xenonrush: I was only goofing about!
The real problem is: My cover looks so awkwardly suitable for a cover (even if a boring one) that nobody will believe that I strictly followed the rules, including taking the first result (of course). =8-{

mercury said...

I'll hide myself behind the argument, that I'm not a native English speaker. I cannot follow the rules. :-)
@Strictly Anonymous I'd like to do that by myself, but I'm a rather clumsy drawer. On the hidden backside of the imaginative booklet there would be a picture of a dead or unconscious boy in a position like 'Ida', a primitive primate found at the Messel Pit Fossil Site. You will look at him from above through a large breakthrough in the wooden floor of just the same attic. There should be a certain similarity in clothes and physiognomy related to the girl. But he seems to be stuck in concrete, looking like a paleontologic specimen. May sound a little bit horrific, but might also built up an interesting tension between the first picture (very positive) and the second one.

xenonrush said...

Hg ~ No one can understand a native English speaker. They all speak dialect. I think you are missing the point of the exercise which is to take a picture, quote and Wiki link and put them together. You seem to be fantasising about a boy in a pit in an attic wearing women's clothing who has been petrified (or concreteified) into a dinosaur. I would however be interested to hear the song if you ever get round to doing the album cover.

mercury said...

Fantasy: That's the point

Paradigm Shift Enterprises said...

Cool! I must try that soon. It sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Nehru suit said...

So great your article is! It hard to say how much I have learnt from your article, such as your idea of life and love. I will recommend it to anyone.