Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Spontaneity

On Sunday I did something very un-Holly-ish.

- I woke up...quite late...(it was Sunday ;))...got something to eat...and recorded some music...then I remembered that I had been invited down to Brighton.

I thought about it in my Hollyish way - it went something like this...

You have a test tomorrow...ok, a small one, but you don't want to get back late and be tired...you should revise too...and it's quite far...and you could just stay here...and you would have to change trains, which is quite scary...and it will be late and dark...and you don't know your way around...

In my mind I had validated my decision not to go.

And so I replied to the inviter and said thank you very much for inviting me, (it was to a gig), but I won't be able to come - I hope you have a lovely time...

And then I thought again.

And an hour later I found myself on a train with one of my lovely friends from Uni. - We were on our way to Brighton. We were quite excited about our spontaneity - it was like a little adventure. :)

So we arrived in Brighton, got something to eat, got something else to eat (we had been travelling! ;)) went to the gig and watched the very talented Ronit perform... (here is her website) - then to the pub to celebrate the inviter's birthday, and then back on the train to Guildford. It was a really great evening - and we met some lovely people.

So my first experience of spontaneity was a very positive one! Here's to more in the future! (Well thought out, rational spontaneity of course. ;)) It's more about being brave and not always doing what's easiest I guess.

I hope that you are all well. :)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

6 comments:

xenonrush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xenonrush said...

Spontaneity is a bit like serendipity. They both start and end with s and y and even have the same number of letters. Did Ronit ask you to duet with her? I can't believe there wasn't a message over the public address system to the effect "Ladies and gentlemen. We have Holly Kirby in the house". And how was the test the following day. Easy peasy

mercury said...

I remember, that the best things in my life were children of spontaneity.
I always loved to stray, alone, with friends or my wife. There's a certain mystery about it, the world seems to expand: an antidote against any kind of depression.

Trevor said...

I love your new concept of well thought out ratioal spontaneity , Holly . Sounds like a plan to me ;)

Trevor said...

Of course , you might prefer ' rational ' to ' ratioal ' ; it's all a matter of taste !

mercury said...

'Be spontaneous!' said Paul Watzlawick.