Monday, 13 December 2010

An update from Uni... :)

I'm very sorry for my lack of blogging lately. I've had lots and lots of coursework to do, and with the completion of that, cooking, tidying, washing, revising etc. I've been left with very little time.

I'm finding the course really interesting...and also very challenging. It has taken me out of my comfort zone completely and plonked me in a brand new world of strange technical language and concepts that I don't understand.

I enjoy writing songs...it feels like a very natural thing to do...but composing instrumental pieces using software that I'm only just getting to grips with is something that I'm finding really difficult.

However, I'm getting the tasks done. And so far, on time. I haven't received any coursework grades yet though. We've done a few online tests though, and in 'Knowledge of Instruments' I currently have 70%, which is a first. Which I'm pleased with. However, for our Composition Technologies module, I was failing, but on our most recent test I managed to get over the pass mark, so am now passing - just.

I've met so many great people up here on the Mainland. Fellow students, housemates, lecturers...they're brilliant. I'm looking forward to being back on the Island though. I've been seeing on Facebook that some of my friends are at home already. Quite jealous about that...

I've written a few new songs since I've been here and I hope to put them online in some form or other soon. Perhaps over Christmas. :)

When I get back on the Island I'm playing in another gig at Missy J's which I'm really looking forward to. It'll be my first Island performance in what feels like ages. :)

Anyway, I'd better go now - early start tomorrow. (9am - is that early? ;))

Lots of love xxxxxx

4 comments:

D.N.H. said...

Hi Holly. Nice to hear how things are going for you at school. Wish you well in your studies. I hope you have a pleasant holiday at home.

Larry said...

So happy to hear that things are going well. Bet you will have a wonderful time back home for Christmas too!:)

Kestrel said...

there is a saying here in the states... "Those who can, do... those who can't do, consult... those who can't consult, teach" You are learning that being able to do is better than knowing all the technical stuff... you are doing well and know talents counts most of all anyway. keep learning and study hard. :)

David Ruben said...

Glad its going well.
As a person and musician one always wants to be pushed beyond one's instinctive comfort zone - and certainly so as a student when horizons and skill-set should be expanding.
The new software is of course but a tool, rather than an end in itself, and hopefully will allow you to set down more complex ideas, or at least in a more refined way, than your current software might restrict your imagination.
Finally isn't any time before midday early for a student ?
Wishing you and your family peace, happiness, and good health for the coming year :-)