Sunday, 17 October 2010

Waiting for a potato

Hellooo there. :)

I just thought I'd do a blog post. :)

I think I'm getting into the swing of Uni life now. I'm starting to feel grown up and I'm getting to grips with looking after myself! Washing, cooking, cleaning, being tidy, working - it's hard to fit it all in!

I'm enjoying the course - I find all of my lectures interesting. My favourite lectures are about Electronic Music. Our lecturer is trying to help turn us into 'thinking musicians'...we're constantly questioning what music is and what can be classed as music. Where does the term 'music' actually end? Or is it an infinite term?

I find that kind of thing really interesting. Stuff that makes you think. :)

We've just been set the task of writing a piece of music which contains only one pitch! Which will a be a challenge - but a very cool one. It'll be interesting to hear everyone's unique interpretations. I have to decide what I'd like to express and then get recording! I'm quite excited actually.

I'm writing this blog as I'm waiting for my baked potato to cook. They take ages don't they? I think I need to invest in a metal skewer as it says on the packet that it halves cooking time - and I'm slow enough as it is already!

I've also found myself some recording equipment now, so I should be a little more active. :) I'll post my one pitch piece when it's done too. It'll be very different! Hopefully not too terrible though! Lol. I'm quite liking the limitation of this task actually. When people give you too much choice things start getting scary and I tend to drift aimlessly from one idea to the next. Boundaries provide comfort sometimes. :)

Anyhow, my potato is nearly done.

TTFN!

Hollyxxxxx

3 comments:

Larry said...

Oh my goodness! You sound just wonderful and, I am so happy for you!!! What about a microwave for the potato? They cook in just a few minutes. Need one? Let me know.

The music stuff sounds so fascinating. Oh, it is so thrilling to hear that all is well and you are enjoying yourself. That makes me very happy. Most mornings, as I walk my treadmill for 95 minutes, I have your songs playing to help get me through and all the while I wonder how you are and send out little prayers for you.

Hope you enjoy your potato! :)

David Ruben said...

Plain microwave 900W will do a nice large potatoe in 7minutes. Microwave with convention heater is best - 12mins (the microwave power on my machine drops in combined mode to 450W)... but I'm sure your parents happy to hear you're learning to cook with a proper oven first :-)

wolfgang said...

I'm glad to hear, that all of your lectures are interesting.
Holly, you inspired me to read the book 'Musicophilia, Tales of Music and the Brain' written by Oliver Sacks again. I love the books of O.Sacks, like I love your music. Despite his books are science, they are also pure poetry and Musicophilia' is in a certain way the essence of everything he had written about music before.