Tuesday, 19 October 2010

EEK!

Today I woke up, feeling a little drowsy...I really need to start getting some early nights!

Anyway...I stepped on to the carpet and did a great big stretch and looked up to see if our friend *shudder* Mr. Spider was still up there, sitting on my ceiling.

He wasn't. - A slight shock.

Then the shock went away because I realised that I had observed that he was not there the previous night and had already been shocked then.

The odds were that he'd probably crawled into my mouth when I was sleeping, and he was now making an intricate web in my tummy. Ok - maybe the odds weren't in favour of this particular scenario, but my imagination was running wild! The sensible sounding odds were that he'd just creepy crawlied his way to another corner or crevice in my room and was just sitting there. Waiting. (And plotting a way to crawl into my mouth when I was sleeping.)

Anyway. I went into the bathroom to freshen up and when I returned I noticed that THE SPIDER WAS ABSEILING DOWN FROM MY LIGHT. AAAAAAAHHHHH!

At this point I realised that I could either shut my eyes and run away or be really brave and 'get rid of' the spider. I then deduced that, taking my personal levels of 'fear of the not knowing where the spider is', and 'fear of spiders' into account, the most sensible option, for me personally, would be to 'get rid of' the spider.

But how was I going to do this? Panic stricken as the spider started to retreat up his line of web, the multiple 'get rid of' methods were whizzing through my mind.

I didn't want to touch the spider. Ewwww.

I didn't want to kill the spider. He hadn't done anything wrong, and he probably had a family to take care of.

I needed a MASSIVE container to capture him in, so that the distance between us could be maintained.

Then I realised that this was unrealistic and there was a handily placed plastic ex-half-a-tin-of-sweetcorn container on my desk, next to a crusty cereal bowl. So I picked up the potential spider container and emptied it of its sweetcorn juices and approached the acrobatic spider.

Then I suddenly got really really brave, (I think it may have been adrenalin), and placed the container around the spider and put the lid on. Then I opened my window and shook the spider out of the container. Then, with slight trepidation, I brought the container back into the room. There was a moment of anxiety when I thought that the spider may have crawled on to my hand, or clung on to the container for dear life, not wanting to leave the warmth of my room, but no, all seemed fine and the spider was nowhere to be seen.

So I'm guessing that the spider is now outside, enjoying his new found freedom. Making webs wherever he pleases, catching flies and other creepy crawlies, eating other bugs and scaring different people.


That, or he's found his way back in here...



*sigh*
xxxxxxx

19 comments:

Larry said...

What an amazing story! And very well told too. Good job (story & spider)! I am proud of you. You know, given a choice, I would prefer the world being populated by the spider's food rather than the spiders. I could tell some powerful stories about my experiences with spiders when I lived in the swamp for 5 years but I shall spare you, lol. Just know that there IS a reason for my low regard for them.

But, I will admit that a few years ago, there was a small one in its web in a corner of my kitchen and although it would not have been tolerated in my bedroom, I spared the spider and, strangely, actually looked forward to seeing it each day, like some kind of strange bond. Yikes... too many years living alone in the swamp, I suppose, lol. And too many afterwards! But, the beat goes on. :)

me said...

Is this the beat you refer to Larry?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0irFedGqc&feature=related

It's surprising what you can do H when dad isn't aroubd to save you from spiders *wink*
xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Growing and being independent is learning to deal with that which scares you. Be proud of your accomplishment.

Larry said...

@me Lol, yeah, maybe so. That was a joy to watch and relive a memory or two. TY

=========

"Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey.

Along came a spider and sat down beside her,
and she smashed the poop out of him!"

LC

wolfgang said...

Well done, Holly!!! I have to admit that I am fascinated by spiders especially by Jumping Spiders. They have beautiful eyes.

xenonrush said...

Loved your tale of bravery and triumph in the face of great danger. Very entertaining. Reminded me of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dSBWysmnM

We had a spider in the house that you would have loved. It was so big that it triggered the burglar alarm when we were out and it walked across the sensor in the kitchen. It was still there when we got home so I popped him out into the garden where he could trap pigeons and squirrels.

Trevor said...

What's all this about the swamp, Larry ? Did you get lost ?

Larry said...

@ Trev Biological research with Old Dominion University / Dismal Swamp Programs. I chose to live in our lab in the swamp. No utilities.

Trevor said...

Do you know , Larry , for a brief moment I thought you must be making this up ~~ but no ! I checked and discovered that Old Dominion is a nickname for the State which was coined by Charles 2nd when Virginia remained loyal to the Crown during the English Civil War . May I ask what you discovered about swamps other than that they are gloomy and dank places to live ?

me said...

Larry ~ you should put on a link so Trevor can see your great pics of your little home in the swamp :)

Trevor said...

On the topic of spiders , I'm reasonably OK with them now but when I was a young man I really didn't like them at all : actually to tell the truth , I was a scaredy cat !
I remember one occasion when I was about 23 and living in a communal house and there was a HUGE spider two thirds of the way up the stairs : the people at the top were too scared to come down and the people at the bottom(including me ) were too scared to go up .Anyway foolish youth that I was , I got the Hoover at the bottom of the stairs and crept nervously upwards holding the hose and it's suction attachment .As I got to a point where I could direct it onto THE HUGE SPIDER , my friend at the bottom was instructed to switch the Hoover on . Well , she did but just at that very moment THE HUGE SPIDER moved towards me almost at the speed of light ~~ Aaaaaaaaaargh ! Terrified and squeeling like the proverbial stuck pig , I took a step back and fell head over heels , got entangled in the hose and tumbled unceremoniously all the way to the bottom of the stairs ,much to the amusement of my so called friends ! And many many years later I swear to this day that THE HUGE SPIDER was laughing !!!

wolfgang said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJU5FdXH93Y&feature=sub
A harvestman in action.

Larry said...

OK, Me.

Trev, most of my pictures from that 'other life' were destroyed by water damage in the lab (cabin). Of the few that remain, I have upload some to PhotoBucket. Below is a link to them in slideshow format.

BTW, the program got the budget axe in the late 80s and I returned to living in civilization, lol. The lab was located on the Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge with Lake Drummond at its center. But if you want a bit more info, Google its director, my very good friend, Dr. Gerald F. Levy (PhD).

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42/cozmo77/Swamp/?albumview=slideshow

xenonrush said...

Trevor ~ If you want to see where Larry spent 5 years communing with nature put these coordinates into Google maps 36.6015, -76.4672 and if you click satellite you can see how green it is. Sadly the resolution won't show up Larry's spider farm.

xenonrush said...

And here's a link to lots of pictures
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=great+dismal+swamp+pictures&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=CUa_TMvLJtKu4QbZtaSYAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA&biw=1280&bih=685

It looks a bit long - I hope it works.

Trevor said...

Thank you Larry , thank you Xeno , and thank you , Wolfgang. I'm not great with the technology but I'll try to connect to the links you've kindly given me , though it might take me a while ;) It's all fascinating :)

David Ruben said...

So what are you going to do when you get a fly enter the room - they're harder to catch than sedentary spiders ? ... oh I forget, you've got rid of nice Miss Charlotte. I wish you well for endless nights of insomnia - either hearing that fly buzz back-and-forth forth-and-back back-and-forth, or your active imagination starting to wonder where the fly decides to land in the middle of the night - we're all familiar with sleep masks for blocking out light, but I can't envisage you wearing a face mask to protect your mouth... {shivers}

wolfgang said...

From 1984 to 1997 we lived in a little village in the middle of the Franconian sandpit. This region has been the home of Aelurillus v-insignitus, a jumping spider. I remember the day, when I immersed into the dry and hot world of this tiny animal, being totally absorbed in the beauty of its courtship dances. I made many piccies with a Novoflex 60 mm bellows objective on Kodachrome. I really have to digitalize them.

"La Vida de Perro" Rich's Excellent Adventure in Paradise said...

The other day I spotted a tiny ant towing a leaf across my livingroom floor. He was sort of huffing and puffing as the thing weighed at least 50 times his weight. I felt the need to help, so I sort of pushed the leaf. He rolled underneath it and was nearly crushed.

As he set back to work, I thought he might run out of energy, so I made a mix of honey and water and placed a drop along his path.

He got into it and drowned.

The leaf is still there.

We need to leave these little creatures alone.