Thursday, 27 May 2010

YES!!! :D

Hello there! :)

How is everyone? It's been a little while since I've done a post, as I've had a busy week!

Now, where do I start?...Ok...

On Friday (May 21st) I had a gig at the Woodvale. - It was a very enjoyable gig, as it always is down there, but a few things went wrong...for example... we had a lot of feedback from the equipment. It's probably our fault because we're novices, but it's very frustrating. Then it goes away, and you don't really know why it's gone away. Anyhow - that was a bit annoying. And then at the end of the second set, my music stand decided to give up, throwing all of my music on to the floor...hm. Luckily it was at the end and I only had about three more songs to go, so I just picked the three up and got on with it. Then at the end a lovely man came up to me and said that he'd been watching me on YouTube for a while and had come all the way from Germany to the Woodvale to watch me! :-O So the gig had some really cool bits! And also some not so cool bits (stand etc.)! Lol.

The next day I was up bright and early (after falling into bed at about 1am - eek!) to go to Platform One for the Wight Noize industry showcase. It was a bit scary, but the judges said some lovely things about my voice, words, image...which was really cool - and I made it onto the shortlist for the Acoustic Stage at the IW Festival! Which is cool. I'm just waiting to hear a bit more from them about that. :)

And then on Sunday I went out to Ventnor to do a bit of filming...well...I wasn't doing the filming, I was being filmed for a promo vid for Ventnor Fringe Festival. (http://www.vfringe.co.uk/) It was lots of fun. :D They were making a set of little videos in the style of La Blogotheque's Take Away Shows.
( http://www.blogotheque.net/spip.php?page=cae_all&lang=en )
One of the recordings involved me walking into a cafe full of people whilst singing Beautiful Deceit - which was very fun! :D Hopefully you'll be able to see them at some point.

Then I had my driving lesson on Monday, and I was shockingly terrible, or terribly shocking...as my test is looooming... :-S I also went into Newport to sort out some extra bits and bobs for the album launch...

Then on Tuesday...

ALBUM LAUNCH!

I woke up in the morning and felt very very nervous and also pretty tired...Violet kept waking me up in the night as she wasn't very well. :-S Then I got my set list prepared and organised things for the evening...

In the afternoon Mum and I went up to the Quay Arts for the soundcheck and met a duck who was on his travels. The duck, whose name was Xeno, filmed the performance in the evening, which was very kind of him. :)

After the soundcheck Mum and I whizzed home and I quickly got changed for the evening and had something to eat. Then we whizzed back to the Quay and I tried to calm down a bit whilst feeling very nervous...

Then the bell rang for the audience to come upstairs and take their seats. I hid behind the wings and spied on the audience coming into the theatre. - As I watched more and more people come in, I felt less and less nervous, and more excited! It was such a cool feeling. Then Stuart, the brilliant sound/lighting man introduced me and I went onto the stage. All of the seats were filled and there were some people standing too!!! I was like :-O

I had such a brilliant time. It's the first time in ages that I've felt so comfortable on the stage. Actually, I think it's the first time ever. There have been times before that have come close...but this was a different feeling. I felt comfortable on the stage, and I also felt comfortable being me. I'm a bit of a wally, and generally I feel a bit embarrassed for being a bit of a wally, but on Tuesday it felt like people were accepting me for my wallyishness and laughing at me in a good way, rather than in a bad way. And I had some lovely, lovely feedback from people (not the screechy noise kind!). In the break and at the end, people were queueing to talk to me and for me to sign things!!! That's never happened before! Lol.

We have some pictures from the evening too. - I do believe that the aforementioned Xeno took some, and we also have some courtesy of Donna...I shall put them on Facebook and come back and put a link on here. :) Here's one of them just for now...

Waffle hands! Lol. :)
TTFN! :)

Lots of love from a very happy Hollyxoxoxoxoxox

P.S - I'd just like to say an ENORMOUSLY HUGELY MASSIVE THANK YOU! To Vic of Vaguely Sunny promotions who helped me so much - and also to the lovely Xeno (who in fact is a human, and not a duck!) Larry and Trevor and Uncle Tim and Wolfgang and the Tassie Gang - for always being there - I couldn't have done it without you. :) xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

23 comments:

Larry said...

Wow! How wonderfully amazing! There was a HUGE smile on my face as I read this (and a little sign of a tear of happiness at the end, lol). How exciting! I am just thrilled to death, lol. Well, not literally, I hope. :) Well done and congrats to you! Thanks to all who documented the occasion too. I am thinking I will wait for xeno's video so as to get a 'fuller impact'. I am SO looking forward to it.
And do not worry too much about the driving test. I recently read (in the 'Strange' news) that a Japanese woman had to take the test over 900 times but finally made it, lol! :)

Trevor said...

I couldn't be more pleased and happy for you,Holly ! It's great that you felt so comfortable on stage and with the audience.The Woodvale sounded interesting ! And to meet a German and a Duck must have been a surreal event.
I'm hoping the Duck will make the video available even to technological incompetents such as myself.
It should come as no surprise that people warm to you,Holly --- we all love you for who you are, not for who you're not.Having said this I wouldn't take much hope from Larry's story of the Japanese woman as it is a known fact that the Japanese are much cleverer than us !It could be a long haul:)

TV said...

I'm just waiting for the day, you come to Germany :D
Pity, I can't effort a ticket to England :(

Larry said...

lol@ Trev (but, well said)

HiYa TV! :)

Trevor said...

Hi Larry,isn't she kind :)

Larry said...

Oh yeah, did y'all know that Violet is performing with our Holly at the Ventnor Fringe Festival? Yep. I just saw notice of it on the site. Below is an excerpt:

"
Ventnor Fringe Festival Presents
HOLLY KIRBY + GROOVECAT
IN ASSOCIATION WITH VAGUELY SUNNY PROMOTIONS"

Trevor said...

Brilliant,Larry,but I think this notice before Violet was grounded for scragging next door's cat.

wolfgang said...

Zurück aus dem Böhmerwald freut es mich riesig zu hören, dass Dein Album Launch so großartig verlief. Wie gerne wäre ich dabei gewesen! Aber Deutschland war ja sogar vertreten. Ich werde mir jetzt mal die Facebook-Seite anschauen.

Larry said...

Wer Deutschland vertreten? Ich weiß, TV war nicht da.

TV said...

Larry speaking german :D wonderful :D
I would have loved to be there :( Especially for that beautiful performance of "The Lady and the Past".

Oh, I managed to get my Abitur done and also to get me a girlfriend. That means, all the work is done and I'll have some time for the internet.

Larry said...

Congrats on the girlfriend, TV, lol. :)

xenonrush said...

Trevor & TV.
I don't seem to have you as pals on Facebook so you may not have seen this:

Just posted some piccies from my little visit to the Isle of Wight to see "A Star is Born". Really enjoyed it and will have to schedule in a longer trip to try the local ales.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/xenonrush/AnAdventure

Choose 'Slideshow' and then press F11 to get full screen. When the slide show has finished press F11 to cancel... full screen. Press Esc to get back to album.
If the show runs too fast change the speed at the bottom of the screen or step through the pictures with the fwd/back arrows.

PBS said...

Wow! Love the photos Xeno!

You got some really great shots of Osborne House. A few nice ones of a pretty blonde chick too :-)

TV said...

@Xeno:
Maybe it's about me not beeing on facebook :D
Those are beautiful pictures (Especially the ones containing beer :D)!

wolfgang said...

@TV: Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum bestandenen Abitur und zur Freundin!

Dave said...

Drive careful; I've heard the streets are narrow over there...

Larry said...

@Dave And if that were not bad enough, they also drive on the wrong side of the road, LOL! :)

wolfgang said...

Thet really worries me!

TV said...

Oh, I forgot: Thank you Larry and Wolfgang :D

Those english people are strange, aren't they? I tried driving on the left side once and I think, it's quite dangerous. Imagine, there is suddenly on of THEM driving on the correct side!

wolfgang said...

In 1992 in Exeter I wanted to enter a taxi on the right side: so much fun for the taxi driver.

Larry said...

One time when I got caught DUI back in the 60s for driving on the wrong side, I tried to tell the cop it was OK since I was driving a Austin-Healey 3000 but, he did not agree! Nothing beats a try though, lol.

Soar to great heights, TerrorBird!

xenonrush said...

"One time"! So how many times were you caught in total? AH 3000, nice motor. An old school friend of my brother has got a Healey 4000. It was an experimental car. Basically a AH3000 but wider and with a Rolls Royce 4 litre engine. Here's an article about it.
http://www.ewilkins.com/wilko/ah4000.htm and that's a picture of Joe at the wheel.

Larry said...

@xeno Caught? Zillions of times. Back in those days, it was not like it is today. The cops would often follow you home. Of course, it was rural here then too.

The AH had a straight 6 with two carbs as I recall but was eventually replaced with a Chevy race 327 c.i.. Awesome machine!