Saturday, 12 December 2009

Studio Day 1...

Monday:

As you can imagine, on Monday morning I was very excited! We got up really early to leave (5:45am – VERY early for me!) and caught the 7.30am boat across to the mainland. The boat arrived at about 8.30am and we didn’t have to be there until 10, so we had a quick look round the shopping centre in Southampton before going to the studio later on.
The peeps in the studio, Gareth and Olli, are really nice and I felt comfortable really quickly – if that makes sense. The sofa was really comfy and so were the ‘Mastermind’ styley chairs…but that’s not really what I mean. When I was trying to choose a studio, I had to pick one where I’d feel able to express myself, and not afraid to say ‘I think it should go like this…’ – and I definitely picked the right place. I really valued their opinions and I think we had the same thoughts about which direction each of the songs should go in. I’m really pleased with how they sound so far – really looking forward to the mixing process on Monday. :)
Anyhow, back to last Monday…
Most of the day was spent recording guitar tracks for a few of the songs and quantizing the files that I had ‘prepared.’ – I say ‘prepared’ because they were very rough. I mean – they were the ones from YouTube, but I realise now that I should have learnt how to do that before I went, as it would have saved a lot of time. I didn’t know what quantizing was before I went to the studio, but now I do…see - I’m learning.
So – that was Monday really. I think it was just about quantizing and picking different instrument tracks etc. (they use Macs and Logic and have loads of brilliant sounds).

I’ll be back tomorrow with a bit about Tuesday and the track listing. :)

Holly xxxxx

8 comments:

Larry said...

Yikes! That sounds so complicated, as I am sure it is. It is great to hear that you are pleased with the results so far and are looking forward to the mixing process. And just think, with all you are learning now, how much different the 'next time' will be, lol. So many new experiences and things to learn this time. How exciting! I am just so thrilled for you and look forward to hearing about the week. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your fans. You rock! :)

xenonrush said...

Quantizing? Oh the net is so educational! Just spent the last 10 mins finding out what that is so some of us are learning with you.

Uncle Tim said...

I had to look it up as well - Wikipedia is marvellous, isn't it?

That was a long slow journey you made twice every day, Holly. I certainly don't envy you. I had assumed you'd use the high-speed service but I guess the slow-boat was a bit cheaper?!

Anyway, very much looking forward to the rest of your 'diary' !

Larry said...

Since no one is talking, I guess I will now have to look it up as well, lol! Yes, Uncle Tim, I could not get along without the ole Wiki, lol!

Larry said...

Good grief! I looked it up but now I know even less than I did! :)

H said...

Hello :) - I haven't actually used the quantize effect yet so I'm not sure how accurate my explanation will be...but I believe it is this...

When I play/record a piece of music/a part. - Like the piano in I Live Through the Song or something...I can never get the notes strictly in time. In music software there is an option to 'quantize'. If you quantize by 100% the beats become 100% in time - very computerized. - The lower the percentage, the more human/slightly out of time the notes sound.

Anyhow, I hope that kind of helps. Lol. :)

Thankyou for your comments! :D

xxxxx

Larry said...

Thanks. Kind of... hehe

Seems like I can remember a time long ago when folks just had tapes of what the actual sound was. But then again, I can remember when there were no computers too. Haha, 'What will they think of next'?

xenonrush said...

But even in the old days the various parts were multitracked and then mixed. Les Paul started it in the 40's although the mixing desk preceded that by about 15 years with the advent of electronic recording. According to Wiki the first programmable analog computer was invented by Al-Jazari in 1206. But it didn't do music.
Yes Uncle Tim - Wikipedia is wonderful.