Thursday, 22 October 2009

Studio Number 2

Hmmm...I've been thinking about the studios and I think I've made my decision. :)

Today I went to see a studio in Southampton. The chap(s) there seemed really nice - and again very helpful. The studio looked great and everything he was saying sounded really good.

I reckon that I'm going to pick this second studio. The one on Tuesday was also really good, but I kind of get a feeling that number two is the one for me. :)

We had a discussion about doing the songs with just guitar and vocals and piano and vocals, and came up with the idea of doing five that way, and five with a few more instruments. I was thinking of songs like Tea Leaves and Old Magazines and thinking that they might lose something if they were just guitar and vocals.

I've put together a list of songs. It was really difficult knowing which ones to use and leave out...but this is what I've come up with...

(They aren't in order at the mo)

Tea Leaves and Old Magazines
I Live Through the Song
Gold and Blue
Topsy Turvy World
Tripping Through Violets
Beautiful Deceit
My Little Ukulele Song
Poetry
A Woman You Don't Know
Quite Blue

I may take one out of that list and put in another new one (called 'To Ireland I'll Away' (recognise that title? :))) - but I don't know what to take out.

Those ten tracks will take about 4 days in the studio. I'm not sure which ones will be the 'simple' ones though. Possibly...Gold and Blue...To Ireland I'll Away...I don't know...looking at the others it sort of seems as though I should add more instruments...but that would probably mean 5 days in the studio. I'll ask Gareth (the chap there :)).

Whilst writing this blog entry I'm currently listening to Joni Mitchell's 'Cactus Tree.' It's such a beautiful song, it's making me go all gooey! Lol. My friend Vic leant me 'Song To A Seagull' and it's gorgeous...well it's Joni...so... ;)

I was thinking earlier...Joni's music is like unwrapping a present that has an infinite number of layers, or a nice cup of tea that goes on forever and changes its taste at every sip so you never get sick of it. :) Or your favourite jumper that has the smell of memories, or your favourite book - you could read it a million times over and notice something special that you didn't notice before at every read. Well that's how it's making me feel anyway. :) I really feel like sitting in a really quaint cafe where the sun beams through the windows, sipping one of those cups of tea right now...I'm getting all carried away. Lost in my own funny head.

Goodnight.xxxxx

40 comments:

the most annoying person of all time said...

Are you sure, you want Gold an Blue in it? :D

wolfgang said...

Holly, in meiner Jugend kannte ich ein Mäddchen, dass mir recht gut gefiel und und auch sie hatte Interesse an mir. Sie hatte nur einen großen Fehler. Sie sagte immer wieder, wieder und wieder: "Bist Du sicher...?" Es wurde nichts aus uns.

wolfgang said...

I printed "To Ireland I'll away..." on green paper and fixed it near to my desk in my working room, so that I'm able to read this wonderful poem whenever I want. It's really a good idea to make music out of it.
Ich bin sehr gespannt...

Larry said...

That looks like a great list to me. Really great!

That feeling you have might be called 'woman's intuition'? And I believe it will lead you right if you follow it.

Looking good!

Anonymous said...

Is that you TV????
THE most annoying.......... ;)

the most ironic person of all time said...

What do you THINK of me?! I and annoying?! NEVER!

Flowerpot said...

I think you should add 'Impossible' to that list and dedicate it to TV because the title reminds me of him ;-)

Larry said...

Poor ole TV, lol!

D.N.H. said...

I like the song list. Recording in a professional studio will be an exciting and educational experience. Be sure to document it for us.

Larry said...

Good point, Dan! How exciting!!!

potting soil said...

Impossible instead of Gold and Blue :P I'd be happy with that, because impossible is one of my favourites :D

And, as you see, I am quite possible...
And Larry, I am NOT old :P

Forgive me, I'm a little bit trigger-happy today :D

Larry said...

Didn't say 'old'. Said 'ole'. :)

wolfgang said...

I would like "Impossible" too. One of the best love songs ever written, but it is nearly impossible to find it.

Larry said...

Not hard to find, WG! I play it in my car's CD all the time, lol.

Uncle Tim said...

I like 'Impossible' as well - definitely one of my favourites. I also like Holly's new songs such as 'Twisted Lines', which is currently even more impossible to find than 'Impossible'! Please can I put some of the new songs on the website soon....lol

TV said...

I'm sorry, Larry, but I thought, it was the same thing :D

Larry said...

Technically, it is, WG. But us 'good ole boys' in the south here use it as a term of affection, not age, lol.

Larry said...

Well, I love 'Impossible' (and I sent it to you, WG) but I would have to vote to keep 'Gold and Blue'. It really, really stirs me! In a good way, lol.

Larry said...

Right now, I am listening to 'I'm Right Here' and loving that too, lol. Hey, I said I was going to avoid trying. How can we possibly (or 'impossibly') pick out just a few, lol! Uncle Tim, I think we need to have Holly do a 6 CD box set! lol

A boy, who is not as old as the older one, who called him ol(e)d said...

well, there has to be some stuff for the later ones, I guess :P
"I'm right here" is indeed a masterpiece.
But I think, 3CD Box is big enough for about 30 songs,isn't it?

Hehe, the term "old boy" makes me think of "The curious case of Benamin Button" :D

Larry said...

Benjamin Button... had to look that one up, lol. Just a little of that would be cool right now. How about going back to say, age 18 and doing it all over. Yeah, that would be cool! :)

TV said...

I'd like to stay my age now :D THAT's be cool.
But... From 18 to 60 and back... and then again... sounds like much experience...

Larry said...

More than you can imagine, lol!

Me said...

Haha! we will have to see how many of the 10-song CD sells before H can think about another one. We'll have to advertise - lol.
It is really hard for her to decide what to put on but she will probs only be able to record 1/2 songs at most in a day and they charge £250 a day ($410) - so that limits choices a lot.
Love the pseudonyms TV ;)

Uncle Tim said...

It seems to me that the quality of many of the songs is very good anyway, so surely they don't all have to be re-recorded?

H said...

They all do - I think it would definitely show if I re-recorded some and not others. I wouldn't be happy putting my own recordings. (Picky/perfectionist. Lol)

H said...

*putting them on. :P

just a musicy girl... wait... is there... ? Oh, nevermind said...

Hmmpf, when me and my band were recording our album, we did 3 songs a day. As they last about 10 minutes each one, Holly should have a chance to manage it :D

Damn, Jesse, now I'm under pressure, I can't get another one!

P.S.
We've payed 60€ (about £40) for the whole recording :P

P.P.S.
Some good surprise, Holly

wolfgang said...

Help I'm gonna mixed up with TV. Larry, I'm a mammal, he is a bird. The only we have in common is that TV is from Germany and so I am.

me said...

lol at TV..or whatever your name is ;)
That was really cheap!! Was it a proper studio?
£250 is probably quite cheap over here...some recording studios are thousands of pounds a DAY!!!

Larry said...

Sorry, Wolfgang. As with the BB code, I often get things wrong, lol. They should ban me from computing! :)

xenon said...

I agree about Impossible. As Rob Elliott said on the Impossible comments page "This is like the final track on an album...and it leaves you wanting to play the whole album again.
Beautiful words, vocals and a guitar melody that needs very limited help from other instruments."

xenonrush said...

I can see that it's a bit of a problem deciding what to include/exclude because all your own compositions are so good. Impossible would be a great last track, Is the limitation due to cost? If so you should ask your fan base for a whip round to stretch the CD out to your current body of work. Maybe Uncle Tim can put a thermometer on the Holly site showing what's needed to get the full CD made and how close you are to it.

Larry said...

Great idea, xenonrush!

xenonrush said...

And talking of Joni Mitchell have you heard Cindy Lauper sing Carey at the Joni Mitchell All Star Tribute 16-Apr-2000. It's on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RCDHBw50Q

Love it. Never realised Cindy Lauper was so good.

me said...

Great idea xenonrush :)
It is just that H has a limited amount saved (and kindly donated) to pay for the recording and then the actual production of the CD, so she can't spend too much on the recording or she wont have enough left in the kitty for reproduction any time soon.

A guy, who was mixed up with another guy said...

Oh, Wolfgang, we have the letters A, G and N in common!

Jesse, it was not. A friend of mine and his band have some very good equipment in their practising room. So we went for recording there. And as he is a friend, he just wanted money for fuel and some beer :)
The best studio conditions I was offered were 30€/hour.
It's quite a lot of work, I have to do everything on my own, but it's worth it.
If you want to, I can send you one, when the mastering is done. You, too, Larry :D
We're going to give 20 of our promo CDs to close friends, so it's pretty limited :P

wolfgang said...

OK, TV you may send it to

Suchtberatung Weißenburg
Schwärzgasse 1
91781 Weißenburg

I'm very interested!!!
Danke im Voraus.

TV said...

Noted :D

Larry said...

TV, Sounds great! Email me at:

cozmova1@aim. com for my addy.