Thursday, 14 May 2009

Songwriting

Today I've been writing a song (amongst other things). So I thought I'd write a little bit about my thought processes when writing a song - it might even help me to understand what I'm doing a bit more! Because there's no set formula writing each song is a whole new experience.

1. Firstly I have to be feeling really really strongly about something. Sadness, disappointment, happiness, excitement, passion...(note the more negative feelings came first in that list - they're generally easier to write about. For me it's because I'm more inclined to keep all of the negative feelings inside, and writing a song is a bit like writing a letter telling someone about your feelings - but with more emotion - and you don't have to send it to feel better!)

Yes, so - I have to have a really strong feeling about someone, something, a certain situation or the way someone has made me feel. I'm getting to the stage now where I have a really strong feeling and then I absolutely have to write a song - otherwise it feels like I'm going to explode!

Today the feeling was 'passion' - don't ask why! I have no idea where that came from.

2. After having the really big feeling I fiddle about on the guitar and find a chord sequence/plucking style that I think connects with the style I want to try to convey in the music.

3. After that I literally just sing along to the chord sequence - using the first words that come into my head. After I have a whole verse and a chorus I just find more words to fit the pattern that I have already used.

It's a very natural kind of process. A song is really just a tiny bit of inspiration that has been developed into a few minutes worth of music.

It's like a journey through a dark tunnel really. The only light you have is the flame that made you passionate enough to want to write the song - and it carries you forward, but sometimes takes you off on a detour.

The song I started writing today began as a song about a crush. And about never being able to show how you feel. Because it wouldn't be morally right or whatever. Or maybe you just don't have the guts.

But as the song developed it became one about seduction! - More the idea of doing something on the spur of the moment and daring to do something that you wouldn't usually dream of doing. Quite a different one for me really. It's not quite finished though. - At the rate it's changing at the moment it'll be about fairies or something by the time it's finished!

I'm looking forward to working on it again after the exams - not long to go now! Just over a month. And a month goes pretty quickly. And my hair should've grown at least half an inch by that time...surely? :)

Anyway, I'd better go now. I have a German exam tomorrow. - It's OK - I've been listening to Nena! And also read a really good interview with her called "Wir beide verstehen uns nicht!" - Sehr interessant!!!

Gute Nacht, schlaf gut und träum süß xxxxx

1 comment:

LarryC said...

Wow! That was an amazing thing to read. Really amazing. Thank you for sharing that.

Und eine sehr gute Nacht zu Ihnen außerdem